Friday, February 1, 2008

25 seats...38 people

Welcome to Fernandez Transportacion! We had kids sitting on top of adults sitting on top of kids, etc. We'll get back to that in a second.....

Diana and I (Chris Kainu) are going to do our best to recap today and the week. All day we served at the orphanage, Vida Nueva (New Life), a rented house of perhaps 2200 sq. ft. that houses 28 babies/toddlers and eight older kids. Holding babies, chasing toddlers, playing with children, raking leaves, washing exterior walls and more. I must admit that I did not quite understand why people would sweep a dirt floor or sidewalk; they do it all over the place down here. I now understand why..it really does look better! I believe that God has placed it in the hearts of people to beautify and cleanse their homes, whether they are in the US suburbs, the houses of Managua, or the tin shacks of a dump.

We met Tim & Kris Bagwell, missionaries from South Carolina who have overseen the orphanage for over two years. Very impressive, likable and down-to-earth folks. It was a great privelage to pray for them and hear of their plans to build a new center on some already purchased property. This will triple their capacity to house these kids that are all 'wards of the state', which means they've come through brutal circumstances to "qualify" for the center.

Our team was a small part of a dream fulfilled for Lina, who is the director of Vida Nueva. For the first time ever, toddlers were taken on a mini-field trip. Hence the title of this blog. We packed into Juan Carlos Fernandez's 1974 Toyota shuttle van (which is immaculate) to take the kids and toddlers to Tip Top fast food restaurant.

Tonight, Susie circled us up to reflect on the week. We have hope that our presence has one been more link in the chain of God's people who are giving these kids an option. The poverty and oppression is intense, but some will take the chance they are given, and live to tell of miracles. One such miracle is Perla. If you were at Summit View when Susie spoke of her, you know that she was in grave danger of falling into a provokative lifestyle at just 14 years old. We got to see her at the Verbo Church Sunday morning, and again playing soccer with all of us on Wednesday night. She is a miracle, who laughed, danced and worshiped right in front of our eyes.

Hope does outweigh despair.




Scrub David scrub!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to share stories. See you soon.

Iceman said...

Team 2: Woke up this morning with the feeling I had last week, knowing I was leaving Nicaragua. Pray pray pray. =)

PS: Don't forget Val and Rick's nuts.
PPS: You should ask for some wings from the Continental flight attendant. ;)

Anonymous said...

M.E.-thank you for all of your love, support and encouragement. I can't wait to share all the new pictures and stories with you. Don't forget... I'm supposed to have a mirage of text messages when I land in Houston ;) are the wings for you?

I'm leaving for the airport shortly... see y'all soon.

Anonymous said...

It is hard to believe my link to Nicaragua is almost gone. And it is hard to believe that it has only been a week since I was there. It seems like an eternity.

Thanks Iceman for reminding Mr. Forgetful!

Have a great flight Team 2

Iceman said...

M.E. -We can trade wings. Paris, Kara and I got some on our flight home. Just thought I'd give you the heads up so you can be with the IN crowd. j/k. I can't wait to hear the stories and see the new photos. We will also need to talk about the video. Flood of texts coming your way in Houston. By the way, I was looking through some of FEI paperwork and I noticed there was a photo just like the one you took of Antonio at the gate. It caught my eye b/c I couldn't understand why your photo was on the paperwork that FEI sent me before the trip. Then I realized... it's not the same photo!!! So, there will need to be more trips going back to take a series of photos of children peeking through that gate. Do you know what picture I'm talking about from the FEI handout?

Val- No problemo. I got your back! ;) Even all the way from California! =P

Anonymous said...

God has been working on my heart in the past few days to show me a truth that is surprising to me. I'm more broken by the fact that people are living in financial poverty here on earth than the reality that they are spiritually impoverished and going to hell. I pray that God will adjust my priorities in my heart to see what is most important to Him. I pray that I will first break for their spiritual life as God allows me to help them with their physical needs.

Iceman said...

Rick- I understand. I was going through the same thing too. As I prayed a few hours ago, I asked for the Spirit to pray for me, that I wouldn't pray my own prayer but His... as I found myself praying for the children in La Chureca, I asked God to deliver them from the dump... I felt the Spirit as I teared and I started to pray that God will foremost grow the seeds planted within them, that they may know who He is and grow in Him regardless their situations. I will pray that God will give you the change you are asking for. Everyday that goes by, God keeps reavealing Himself to me more and more... changing the way I think, the daily decisions I make, and the way I act. He is truly sovereign and merciful. Isn't it amazing how He works within us?

I am praying also that He will lead all of us in the next direction we should take in regards to missions... wherever we are called to be. I'm waiting on him patiently as I know He has a great plan for all of us to follow through with. Thank you for your thoughts and continued leadership.

Team 2 should be landing in 5 minutes!!!

PS: I can't stop looking at the pictures of Wendy and Antonio...