Monday, January 26, 2009

The long anticipated day...

If twenty strangers walked up to your front door at 10 AM on a Monday morning, would you invite them in? Most of us, if we answered, would feel annoyed and quickly find an excuse as to why your guests should not come in. Whether it be “my house is dirty”, “I haven’t showered yet”, or “the kids are napping”, a majority of the population would not graciously invite those people in.

Today we visited La Chureca. For some of our veterans, it was a long anticipated and joyous reunion. For the rest of the team, their eyes were opened. As we unloaded the bus we were immediately greeted by Wendi, the young girl that touched so many hearts last year. Pastor Ramon, from El Faro (the church we visited yesterday) and his assistant Marcos, gave us a tour around the dump. He introduced us to several families, who graciously welcomed us into their homes. As many of us found last year, these people don’t have much of anything. What they do have, however, they are proud of. The families showed us their homes, introduced us to their families, and shared their stories with us. How many of us show that same grace to strangers at home?

For many families, the only source of income is sifting through acres of garbage for recyclable products that they can sell to the merchants. However, with the shift in the economy, the value of recyclable products like plastic and aluminum has plummeted. In most of the homes we found huge bags of plastic and metal that probably took weeks to gather. They are holding onto it in hopes of the sale price going back up. They said that one bag, the equivalent to a regular sized dumpster, would sell for about 50 cents right now where in the recent past they would have sold it for a whole $2.00. The average family living in La Chureca earns about $2.50 per day. Imagine if your whole family worked an entire day just to be able to make the amount it would take to buy a large cup of coffee from the local Starbucks.

This information may shock you. Frankly it should. However, more importantly, what every one of the team members saw today (once they got passed the initial shock to the senses) was a village of people that work hard to provide for their families, just like we do. They live in despair according to our standards, but they don’t realize it. The children run and play all day long. They have an enormous sense of pride for their homes, their families and their friends. In ways it is beautiful in others it is terrifying and absolutely heart breaking. There are generations that live within this dump and the prayer is that this cycle can be broken. The hope is in the children. We’ve all heard the saying, “It’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks.” If we focus our attention on the children and teaching them that there is a better way of life and that God has more in store for them, we can save them from the Hell that awaits.

When we came out of the dump we all went to El Faro church to eat lunch. We ate PB&Js and ham sandwiches. Afterwards, Georgia, Trevor, Heather, and Jeremy all went back to La Chureca to feed the children and hand out pink lemonade. Kris, Jen, Dan, Julie, Paul, Rick, Amy, Wayne, Kelli, and Ben all painted inside the El Faro church outside the dump and played with the toddlers and babies. During the weekdays the church has a daycare where children from La Chureca can come while their parents are working. There they are sure to have a good breakfast, lunch, nap and play times. El Faro’s ministry is not just taking care of babies. It is a true example of what loving the unloved is. They are providing opportunities for residents of the dump to come out and intermix with people that they otherwise wouldn’t ever talk to. It provides opportunities to show them life outside the dump.

The people of La Chureca need prayer more than anything. More than food, more than clean water, and more than a nice pair of shoes. God can and will change their hearts. He will show them that there is a better way of living. Pray that those people will listen when God calls and that they will turn and run towards Him.



Just for you Judy....



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks...been waiting all day to see that handsome face of his...The kids will be so happy to see it when they wake tomorrow...continuing to pray for God's will, above all else, to be done in and through you all...do God's work and then come home to the families that love and miss you all.

Ugh said...

I am very proud of all of you down there. It is a beautiful thing that you are doing for those people and very admirable of you to be able to cope with all heart wrenching sites. I can remember the pain I felt after witnessing similar sites in Honduras many years ago. I was strongly moved when it really sunk in to me what I took for granted every day in the U.S.. Even the big tough soldier’s hearts can be broken into pieces when witnessing despair on this level... I have had you all in my thoughts many times a day since your departure. Mainly for your encounter to move your hearts like it did mine. God is doing wonderful things with you and may the impact of your encounters ripple positively throughout time. . In a sense may your selfless actions be paid forward for generations to come. I miss you!!!

Connie Blais said...

Hi team,,,,just wanted to say thank you for the incredible pictures...I really love the recent ones and not just because they include my family members. The kids that i remember from last year have grown so much,,,,I have been trying to think of a powerful message, but I just get tears in my eyes and nothing comes in word form....I am sending thought hugs, and prayers all day....I think of you all 1st thing in the morning, during the day and with my prayers at night...My love and gratitude to all of you....PS Kelli,Kris, and sweet Jen,,,I LOVE YOU Guys very much. Be talking to you again
NANI

Connie Blais said...

Hi Team well I love the pictures and all the special work that you are doing. Try not to get to attached to all the people there it will really make it very hard to leave. You are all in my prayers and please take care
Connie's other half Papa

Morgan Rae said...

Hey guys, the work you guys are doing is AMAZING! I pray that God continues to improve the lives of the people in Nicaragua and more specifically in the area where you guys are. I continue to pray every day for you guys! I can tell just by the pictures and the words that this has been a life-changing trip for all of you, even if you have been before. I hope that by others reading this blog they will be motivated to pray to go on a mission trip themselves, or become more involved in the community.

Morgan

Valerie said...

I get goosebumps reading this. . . such a powerful moment. . . so amazing how God continues to work and move in Nica. I am again struck at how fortunate we are to be able to join God in His plans.

Anonymous said...

... say to those with fearful hearts, "Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you."
Isaiah 35:4

I can only imagine what it is like to look into the eyes of the children you have met. I would guess that those little angels have just melted your hearts. I pray knowing that God is at work in all of your hearts but i pray that you all may be able to take the lessons you have learned from Him this week and in time teach them to those of us that have yet to have the privilege of glorifying God in such a precious way. I hope you continue to have a good trip! See you Soon!!!

P.s
Special Shout Out's!
KRIStoPHER!!!
I miss you a lot. I cant imagine how you feel being back there again. I know that God led you there the first time for an amazing reason and i cant wait to hear about how you feel about the second time around. I hope your enjoying it.
JEN!
I miss you too! I love seeing you when you were here last! Im sure your full of butterflies being back where it seems you and my brother left your hearts. I hope your enjoying your time as well! God has put you into the life of my brother and family to bless us and i can only tell you we all love you and are excited for more fun times to have with you. See you soon!
MAMA!!!
I miss you, plain and simple. Nothing else to say.
I just miss my mama. I know that i love your hugs so much and i can guess that the kids that you have met and hugged down there are getting to feel that special love too. I miss you and I'll See you soon.
I love you Mama.

<3 Love,
Desi

Summit View Church said...

Doodlebugs! Thank you for the lovely blog. I love and miss you too. The Bible verse was beautiful and very fitting. Well done sweetheart. I'm very proud of you. Today was free day and we went zip lining high in the trees with the monkeys! It was so much fun. There are three ways you can ride the zip line. Regular, like superman, or upside down. I did all three several times. It was so much fun. You would love it for sure. It does require some faith though that's for sure! :) We then went shopping in the market. It reminded me of our Saturday market. Tonight should be special because baby Nancy is going to come visit Kris in the Villa. That should be a very happy and special reunion. I will take pictures. Tomorrow is HAT the orphanage ran by the government. It houses children that primarily have some sort of disability. My hope is that we can bring some joy to their day as well we plan to do some maintenance repairs. Sorry there was no blog last night. Amy wrote it but we lost power so she wasn't able to post it. Maybe she will post yesterday's later and then hopefully there will be another one for today. Hugs and kisses to all.

Love Mama Blais